I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Tuesday 16 February 2016

Waterfall Beef นำ้ตกเนื้อ.



Waterfall Beef นำ้ตกเนื้อ.

Serves 2-3.

I don't think Thai people can agree on why the dish is so named. I will give you 2 versions.
1. The dish is incredibly spicy that it'll make your eyes water, hence waterfall.
2. Traditionally the meat would be grilled over charcoal and it was the fat dripping from the meat, which had given this salad its name.

In a bowl, put in
-450g sirloin steaks, with
-salt/pepper,
-2tsp fish sauce,
-2tsp soy sauce.
Mix well. Leave to marinade until needed, 20 minutes or so.

      For the salad.
In a frying pan, dry roast
-2tbsp of rice until golden brown. Finely grind using a pestle and mortar. Leave aside.

In a large bowl, put in,
-2 spring onions, finely sliced,
-3 chillies, finely sliced,
-2 shallots, finely sliced,
-1tbsp chopped mint,
-2tbsp chopped coriander,
-2tsp dried chilli flakes.
Leave aside.

Cook the steaks to your liking (traditionally medium rare).
Leave to rest for 10 minutes before slicing into 1/2cm in thickness.

       To assemble.
Add the beef to the salad bowl.
Add the toasted rice.
Add juice of 1/2 a lime.
Add 1tbsp fish sauce.
Mix well to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
You would probably need more fish sauce and lime juice.

Serve with rice and fresh vegetables.



No comments:

Post a Comment