I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 7 February 2016

Beef Goulash.



Beef Goulash.

Serves 6.

Preparation:
-1.5kg beef brisket, cut into 3cm chunks, coated in 
-2tbsp of plain flour, seasoned with salt/pepper.
In a large casserole dish, brown,
-the beef pieces, in batches, leave aside.

Return casserole dish to heat, fry
-2 cloves chopped garlic, with,
-2 onions, cut into large chunks,
-2 rashes of bacon, sliced.
Cook, stirring for a few minutes until the onions have become translucent, add 
-2tbsp spicy smoked paprika (or sweet paprika if you don't like it spicy),
-1tsp cayenne pepper (optional),
-2tbsp tomato paste,
-salt/pepper, add
-beef.
Cook, stirring to coat the beef in the spices.
Add,
-1 sliced peppers,
-1 stalk celery, cut into chunks
-2 carrot, cut into chunks,
-2x400g tinned tomatoes,
-2tbsp chopped parsley,
-2-3 bay leaves,
-1 beef stock cube,
-1tbsp soy sauce.
-300ml water.
Leave on a gentle simmer for about 2 hours or until the meat is flaking.
Adjust seasoning.

Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment