I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 28 February 2016

Pineapple Fried Rice ข้าวผัดสัปปะรด.



Pineapple Fried Rice ข้าวผัดสัปปะรด.

Serves 2-3.

A bit of sunshine on this very cold Sunday. It's completely vegetarian and totally delicious.

In a large wok, on high heat, fry
-80g chopped carrots,
-80g chopped onions,
-2 cloves chopped garlic,
-1/2tsp sea salt.
Cook, stirring until the vegetables have softened, add
-2 whisked eggs,
-2tbsp soy sauce.
Cook, stirring until the eggs are cooked through.
Add around 550g cooked rice.
Cook stirring to coat the rice in the vegetables and the eggs.
Add 50g each of sweet corn and peas.
Add around 250g fresh pineapple pieces (tinned is fine).
Stir to combine. Adjust the seasoning.

Serve in the pineapple shell if you had the patience to prepare it.

No comments:

Post a Comment