I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Tuesday 9 February 2016

Cider Roasted Chicken.




Cider Roasted Chicken.

Serves 4-6

Here's another cider recipe (We got given a crate of cider at Christmas), although I don't really drink I love cooking with alcohol. This recipe is perfect for when you are short of (preparation) time, it should take no more than 15 minutes. Great for a cold winter's night.


Place 1.5kg free range chicken pieces on a large platter.
Season with salt/pepper.
Leave aside.

Oven 200c fan forced .

In a large roasting tray, put in,
-3 rashes of bacon, thickly sliced,
-500g baby potatoes, cut into 3-4 chunks (no peeling necessary),
-1 sliced pepper,
-2 cloves crushed garlic,
-2 onions, quartered,
-2 carrots, cut into 3cm chunks,
-2 stalks celery, cut into 3cm chunks,
-100g thickly sliced mushrooms,
-a small bunch parsley,
-a few bay leaves,
-salt/pepper,
-1tsp paprika.
Toss well to combine. 
Pour over 500ml cider.

Bake 45 minutes.

Take the tray out of the oven.
Place the chicken pieces on top of the part-cooked vegetables.

Bake around 45 minutes until the vegetables and chicken are cooked through.

Serve as it is, a one pot wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment