I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 10 February 2016

Pork Satay Balls with Curried Peanut Sauce.



Pork Satay Balls with Curried Peanut Sauce.

Makes 28-30.

Traditional satay are skewered and grilled. This is my take on the classic. I find this recipe a lot quicker to put together and because it's cooked in the oven it's perfect for this time of year. In a few months time I'll show you how these are meant to be done, on the barbecue. The peanut sauce, however, will stay the same. Delicious! 

In a large bowl, put in,
-800g mince pork,
-2tbsp chopped coriander,
-2 spring onions, finely, chopped,
-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped.
-1tbsp fish sauce,
-1tbsp soy sauce,
-1tsp salt,
-1tsp turmeric powder,
-3tbsp coconut milk,
-black pepper.
Bring together with your hand, be careful not to over mix.
Refrigerate for 20 minutes.

          Peanut Sauce.
In a large saucepan, fried,
-1 1/2 tbsp of Thai red curry paste,
Cook, stirring for a few minutes until fragrant, add
-the rest of the 400ml coconut milk, add
-100g crunchy peanut butter,
-2tbsp palm or brown sugar,
-fish sauce to taste (1 or 2 tablespoons).
Cook for a few minutes until the ingredients are well combined. Leave aside.

Oven 250c fan forced.

         Pork balls.
Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture, flatten to 2cm in thickness.

Bake 15 minutes.

Serve with the peanut sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment