I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 10 February 2016

Celeriac Dauphinoise.




Celeriac Dauphinoise.

It's my personal mission to come up with a vegetarian dish, at least, once a week, that is delicious and a meal on its own.
This is also great as a complement to roast dinners. If you haven't cooked celeriac before, give this ago.

Oven 200c fan forced.

In a large oven tray, put in
-1kg celeriac, slice into 1/2cm  thick,
-2 cloves chopped garlic,
-2 shallots, finely sliced,
-paprika,
-salt/pepper.
Toss well to combine. Add
-300ml double cream,
-600ml milk.
Cover with foil

Bake 1 hour.
Take out of the oven.
Remove the foil.
Top with 120g grated cheese.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.

Serve with a green salad.

Note: you can add cheese right at the beginning but the cheese will be almost boiled from the liquid, looks more appetising this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment