I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 8 February 2016

Flour Tortillas.




Flour Tortillas.

Makes 8.

In a large bowl, put in
-300g plain flour
-1tsp baking powder,
-1tsp salt,
-100g lard
Rub with your fingers until the mixture is combined and crumbly. Add
-60-70ml warm water.
Bring to a rough dough with your hand.

Tip on to a floured surface,
Knead for a couple of minutes.
Leave to rest for 1 hour, cover with a damp tea towel.

When ready,
Divide into 8 equal portions.
Roll each into, roughly, 18cm discs.

Cook in lightly greased pan, on medium heat.
The tortilla is done when brown spots appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment