I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Tuesday 23 February 2016

Duck with Cherry Jam and Cider.


Duck with Cherry and Cider.

Serves 2-3.

Beautiful and delicious crispy skin duck with sweet and sour sauce, the cider worked really well yet again.

    For the duck.
In a roast tin, put in
-1kg duck crown, with
-1/2 thickly sliced onion,
-2 cloves crushed garlic,
-1 stick cinnamon,
-2 star anise,
-plenty of salt/pepper.
Roast in 200c fan forced oven for 1 hour. Leave to cool.

     For the sauce.
In a saucepan, fry
-1 large onion, finely sliced,
-2 cloves chopped garlic,
-salt/pepper.
Cook, stirring until the onions have softened, add
-whole dried chillies (optional),
-2tbsp cherry jam, 
-250ml cider.
Leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.

Carve the duck breasts.
Pan fry the breasts, skin side down, for a couple of minutes until the skin is crispy.
Serve with the reduced sauce and rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment