I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 10 February 2016

Thai Beef Salad ยำเนื้อ.



Thai Beef Salad ยำเนื้อ.

Serves 4.

I can't go too many days without refreshing Thai flavours and there are very few other dishes more tangy and zesty than this salad dish.
It combines all the beautiful Thai flavours in a filling salad that you can have as an appetiser or as part of a larger meal. Thai dinners are rarely just about the one dish but rather many different dishes. My daughter once said having a Thai dinner is like having a buffet. I am serving this salad with satay, grilled chicken and rice.

        For the salad.
 In a large bowl, put in
-10 cherry tomatoes, halved,
-150g sliced cucumbers,
-2 shallots, finely sliced,
-1/2 onion, finely sliced,
-2tbsp celery leaves,
-2tbsp chopped coriander,
-1 stalk lemongrass, white parts only, finely sliced,
-2 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced (not overly necessary).
Leave aside.

        Salad dressing.
 In a small saucepan, put in
-2tbsp fish sauce,
-1/2tbsp palm or brown sugar,
-juice of 1 limes,
-4 sliced chillies (adjust according to your taste),
-2tbsp water.
Cook, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
Leave aside.

Season 450-500g sirloin steaks with salt/pepper.
Cook to your liking.
Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
Slice into 1cm thick.
Add to the salad bowl. 
Pour over the salad dressing.
Mix well to combine.

Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment