I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 24 February 2016

Almonds and Strawberry Flower Cake.

    

Almonds and Strawberry Flower Cake.

Equipment:
2x20cm springform cake tins lined with baking paper.

I hope you can see why this cake is so named. If not, I'll (with great embarrassment) tell you, the strawberry arrangement is meant to look like a flower.
The cake is incredibly YUM!!!! Even if I did not achieve the desired flower effect, I am very happy with the flavour.

      For the cake.
Use an electric mixer to beat,
-250g softened butter, with
-300g caster sugar,
-100g self raising flour,
-200g ground almonds,
-2tsp baking powder,
-4 eggs,
-3tbsp milk,
-1tsp vanilla bean paste,
-pinch of salt.
Beat to combine the ingredients.

Oven 180c fan forced.

Spoon into the prepared tins.
Bake 20-25 minutes, skewer should come out clean.
Leave to cool completely in the cooking tins.

     For the cream.
Use an electric mixer, beat
-300ml double cream, with
-250g mascarpone cheese,
-2tbsp icing sugar,
-1tsp vanilla bean paste.
Beat until the cream just holds its shape.
Refrigerate until needed.

      To assemble.
Place the first layer of cake on a serving dish.
Spoon on 100g strawberry jam. Spread evenly.
Top with the second layer of cake.
Encase the cake with the cream.
Attempt flower shape with 400-450g strawberries.


No comments:

Post a Comment