I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Saturday 20 February 2016

Spicy Egg Salad ยำใข่ดาว.




Spicy Egg Salad ยำใข่ดาว
Serves 1.

This is a fresh, tangy and healthy salad. If you don't like eggs, substitute with prawns for a healthier lunchtime treat.

In a heatproof bowl, put in
-50g dry vermicelli noodles, with
-boiling water.
Leave aside.

In a bowl put in
-1 sliced tomato,
-1 sliced shallot,
-80g chopped Romaine Lettuce, add
-drained vermicelli noodles, add
-5-6 tbsp spicy lime sauce.
Mix well to combine.

Spoon on to a serving dish.
Top with fried eggs.
Spoon over a tablespoon of sauce.



         Spicy lime sauce.
(Makes around 100ml. It keeps for weeks in the fridge. I normally have it instead of tomato sauce)

In a food processor, put in
-4 cloves garlic,
-3cm roughly sliced ginger,
-3 shallots,
-a small bunch of coriander,
-chillies (I put in 15 but adjust according to your taste),
-1 stalk lemongrass, cut into chunks.
Pulse to combine.
Spoon into a bowl, add
-1/4 cup fish sauce,
-1/4 cup water,
-juice of 1 lime.
-2tsp of sugar.
Mix well to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning, you should be able to taste, spicy, sweet and sour.

No comments:

Post a Comment