I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 22 February 2016

Cider Baked Beans.


Cider Baked Beans.

Serves 4.

We got given a crate of cider at Christmas and now I am down to 1 bottle. It's been fun coming up with recipes to use them up. These beans are delicious, they don't take long and taste so different to the tinned varieties.

In a large sauce pan, fry
-2 rashes of bacon, with
-1 small chopped onion,
-2 cloves of garlic.
Cook, stirring until the onions are cooked through, add
-1tsp salt/pepper, 
-1tsp paprika,
-1/2tsp cayenne pepper,
-2tbsp tomato paste, add
-2x400g Cannellini beans,
-1tbsp chopped parsley.
Cook, stirring for about 5 minutes. The beans will take on a slightly smoky flavour this way. Then add,
-400g tinned plum tomatoes,
-250ml cider,
-1tbsp light soy sauce.
Leave to simmer for around 30 minutes or until the sauce is well reduced, add
-1tbsp black treacle.
Taste and adjust seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment