I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 17 February 2016

Chocolate Cream Roulade.



Chocolate Cream Roulade.

Quick, delicious and surprisingly easy. Even if a few cracks appear, it doesn't matter (so I keep telling myself).

Equipment:
23x33cm Swiss roll tin lined with baking paper.

Melt 100g dark chocolate. Leave aside.

Oven 190c fan forced.

Use an electric mixer, beat
-120g self raising flour,
-1tsp baking powder,
-120g caster sugar,
-120g butter, at room temperature,
-4 eggs,
-pinch of salt.
Beat to combine the ingredients.
Stir through melted chocolate. 
Spoon into the prepared tin.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until just firm to the touch.

Invert onto a fresh piece of baking paper.
Leave to cool completely.

      Cream filling.
Use an electric mixer, beat
-300ml double cream, with
-2tbsp icing sugar,
-1tsp vanilla bean paste.
Beat until the cream just holds its shape.
Refrigerate until needed.

        To assemble.
Spread the cream evenly, leaving 2cm gap.
With the short end facing you.
Roll to encase the cream mixture.
Sprinkle over icing sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment