I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 17 February 2016

Black Pepper Stir Fried Monkfish ปลาผัดพริกไทยดำ.



Black Pepper Stir Fried Monkfish ปลาผัดพริกไทยดำ.

This is simply delicious. I made this dish, along with a few other dishes, for a dinner party and this was the favourite. The monkfish is firm fleshed and copes well with strong flavours.
This is my first time cooking monkfish, can't wait to cook with it again.

In a large wok, on high heat, add
-1 onion, cut into large chunks,
-1 clove, chopped garlic,
-1/2 pepper, cut into chunk,
Stir fry until the vegetables have softened, add
-500g thickly sliced monkfish,
-1tbsp light soy sauce,
-1tbsp oyster sauce,
-1 1/2 tsp black pepper.
Stir fry until the fish is almost cooked through, add
-2 sliced spring onion,
-1/2 chilli, sliced (adjust according to your taste. I love chillies but when cooking for a crowd l tend to keep it quite mild).

Taste and adjust the seasoning.


No comments:

Post a Comment