I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 21 February 2016

Chicken Larb Pasta พาสต้าลาบไก่.


Chicken Larb Pasta. พาสต้าลาบไก่
Serves 2-3.

Larb or Laab is the national dish of Laos. Traditionally made with mince chicken, duck, beef, buffalo or pork.
This is my twist on another classic. I usually make salads to use up leftovers.
This salad is delicious, fresh and very filling.


      For the salad.
In a frying pan, dry roast
-2tbsp of rice until golden brown. Finely grind using a pestle and mortar. Leave aside.

In a large bowl, put in,
-2 spring onions, finely sliced,
-3 chillies, finely sliced,
-2 shallots, finely sliced,
-1tbsp chopped mint,
-2tbsp chopped coriander,
-2tsp dried chilli flakes.
Leave aside.

In a saucepan, put in
-200 chicken stock, with
-roughly 200g cooked chicken pieces, add
-1tbsp fish sauce.
Bring up to the simmer.

       To assemble.
Add (roughly)450g cooked pasta to the salad bowl, add
-chicken and chicken stock, add
-juice of 1/2 lime,
-ground roasted rice.
Mix well to combine.
Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Serve with vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment