I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 19 February 2016

Vietnamese Pan Eggs.



Vietnamese Pan Eggs.

I don't know how long this dish has been popular or has come to be breakfast in Northeastern Thailand but I only started noticing it a couple of years ago. I was asked if my husband and father-in-law would fancy 'Kai Krata' for breakfast. I didn't know what the dish was and it was described to me. We did order Kai Krata for 1 and when it came, I still thought it was a Thai version of an English breakfast. Turned out it was French in origin and a legacy of French Indochina. Thailand was not a colony of France so the dish is thought to have been bought to Thailand by Vietnamese immigrants.
This is my Kai Krata as it is known in Thailand, you can make it as elaborate or as basic as you want. I have gone down the middle path.

In a frying pan, fry
-1 clove chopped garlic, with
-50g chopped carrots,
-50g mince pork,
-salt/pepper.
Cook, stirring until the mince is almost cooked through, add
-1 sliced spring onion,
-1tbsp chopped coriander.
Spoon into a dish and leave aside.

Wipe the pan clean. Put it back on the heat.
Add 50g butter, leave to melt,
Add 2 eggs.
Add the mince pork.
Add 2 cooked sliced sausages.
Cover with a lid.
Cook the eggs to your liking.

Serve with toast and coffee.

Note: other ingredients that I've seen in this dish.
-tofu.
-Chinese Lap Cheong sausage,
-ham,
-prawns.

No comments:

Post a Comment