I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 15 February 2016

Thai Herb Steamed Sea Bass ปลากระพงนึ่งมะนาว.



Thai Herb Steamed Sea Bass ปลากระพงนึ่งมะนาว.

 I hope you are not put off by the presentation of this dish. Thai people do take time out to enjoy their meals so having fish served on the bones is really not a problem. The fish remains sweet and juicy and the bones can be removed in no time at all.
This dish tastes fresh and healthy and if you want an extra added zing and tang, there's a recipe for a spicy dip attached to another recipe, 'Pork with Spicy Herb and Lime Dip', to go with it.

Equipment:
Steamer (alternatively in 200c fan forced oven)

        Preparation.
-800-900g Sea bass, score the fresh, season with salt and pepper.
Stuff the fish cavity with,
-3 cloves sliced garlic,
-3cm, thickly sliced ginger,
-4-5 kaffir lime leaves,
-50g sliced shallots,
-2 stalks lemongrass, sliced,
-1 lime, thinly sliced (I used lemon, ran out of limes)
-3-4 sprigs coriander.

Steam for 20 minutes.

To serve.
Sprinkle some fresh chillies and ginger on top.
Serve as part of a large meal, including a spicy lime and herbs dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment