I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 22 May 2016

The Great Gatsby.


The Great Gatsby.

I haven't read the novel but I have been asked by a friend to come up with a recipe that represents it. Had a quick scan on the internet and I think I got the gist of the story line so here is my take on the The Great Gatsby. Pavlovas, to me, although easy, always give the impression of grandeur and opulence. My chocolate version is to capture the decadent, wild and sumptuous parties thrown by Gatsby. The chocolate portrays luxury, the mysterious Gatsby and ultimately the excessiveness and social decay. This corruption of the American Dream is further emphasised by the cream filling which is laced by Long Island Iced Tea cocktail mix. I think this alcoholic addition is especially fitting as the novel is set on Long Island. Lastly the raspberries are to signify the passion that Gatsby has for Daisy Buchanan. Hope you'll like my interpretation of the novel that I had never read.
My older daughter gave her very highest approval when she saw my Pavlova ...'cool'.

Equipment:
2 large oven trays.
Draw 30x15cm rectangle on 2 pieces of baking paper.
Invert the paper onto the trays.
Leave aside.

Use an electric mixer, beat
-10 egg whites, until soft peaks form, add
-500g caster sugar, mixed with 
-good pinch of salt,
-1tsp cream of tartar.
Add the sugar mixture a tablespoon at a time.
Stop beating when the egg white mixture is stiff enough that you can, or want to, hold it over your head.
Stir through 40g sifted cocoa powder.

150c fan forced.

Divide the egg white mixture into, roughly, 2 equal portions and spoon into the prepared tins.
Spread evenly inside the drawn rectangles.

Bake 45-50 minutes until just firm to touch and the top is crispy.
Turn off the oven and leave the meringue to cool completely in the oven.
   
   Long Island Iced Tea.
-whisky,
-vodka,
-gin,
-lemon juice,
-rum,
-cola.
(Adjust the volume according to your own taste)

   Cream filling.
Use an electric mixer, beat
-250g mascarpone cheese, with
-600ml double cream,
-2tbsp icing sugar,
-1tsp vanilla bean paste.
Beat to combine the ingredients (the cream should be at stiff peaks to accommodate the added liquid).
Stir through the cocktail mix.


     Raspberry Sauce.
In a small saucepan, put in
-400g frozen raspberries, with
-2tbsp water,
-2tbsp icing sugar.
Cook on low heat until the fruits have softened.

   To assemble.
Place the first layer of meringue onto a large platter.
Spoon on the cream filling.
Spoon on half of the raspberry sauce.
Top with the second layer of meringue.
Spoon over the remaining raspberry sauce.
Grate over dark chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment