I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 13 May 2016

Pea Risotto.



Pea Risotto.

A very light, fresh and easy risotto for dinner tonight. It was delicious and I ate far more than my fair share. I've made this risotto with cider but without any cheese so, therefore, I am declaring it healthy (it did taste fresh and healthy). I served mine with herb roasted pork chops but the risotto itself is both vegetarian and vegan (substitute the chops with pan roasted mushrooms)

Serves 3.

Preparation:

Shell 500g fresh peas (you should end up with around 150g).
1tbsp chopped chives.

   Vegetable Stock.
In a large saucepan, put in
-1.5 litres of water, with
-1tsp peppercorns,
-2 cloves garlic,
-1 large onion, quartered,
-2 stalks celery, cut into chunks,
-2 carrots, cut into chunks,
-2-3 bay leaves,
-4-5 sprigs of thyme, rosemary and parsley,
-1tbsp sea salt,
-1tbsp soy sauce.
Bring it up to the simmer and leave to cook on low heat for about 20 minutes (aim to end up with 1 litre of stock)

   For the risotto.

In a large saucepan, add
-1tbsp olive oil, with 
-2 chopped shallots,
-1 clove chopped garlic.
-salt and pepper.
Cook, stirring occasionally, on low-medium heat until softened, add
-300g risotto rice.
Cook, stirring constantly, to coat the rice, around a minute or so, add
-250ml cider.
Stir until the rice has absorbed the liquid, add
-a ladle of vegetable stock at a time.
Cook,stirring constantly until the stock has been absorbed.
Repeat this process until about 1 litre of stock is used or the rice is deliciously creamy. The process should take 25 minutes.

When you are ready to serve.
Stir through the fresh peas and chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment