I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 11 May 2016

Duck with Cointreau Sauce.



Duck with Cointreau Sauce.

Make your mid week dinner even more special with this delicious roast duck recipe, my take on the classic Duck à l'Orange. This recipe is a lot easier than it looks and it's delicious. Duck goes so well with any sweet and fruity sauce and I thought the Cointreau added that extra oomph.

Serves 2.

   For the duck.
In a roast tin, put in
-1kg duck crown, with
-1 thickly sliced onion,
-2 cloves crushed garlic,
-1 stick cinnamon,
-2 star anise,
-3-4 cloves,
-zest and juice of 1 orange (put in the juiced orange halves as well)
-salt/pepper.
Roast in 200c fan forced oven for 1 hour. 
Remove the duck.
Leave to cool.

Skim off any excess fat from the cooking liquid.


   For the sauce.
In a saucepan, add
-1/2tbsp olive oil, add
-2 chopped shallots, 
Cook, stirring occasionally until the shallots have softened, add
-the cooking liquid,
-juice and zest of 1 orange,
-80ml Cointreau (adjust according to your taste)
-salt/pepper.
Leave to simmer on low heat, get on with the next bit.

Carve the duck breasts.
Pan fry the breasts, skin side down, for a couple of minutes until the skin is crispy.
Leave to rest for 5 minutes or so before slicing.

Place on a serving plate with the sauce and your choice of potatoes and vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment