I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 4 May 2016

Kedgeree


Kedgeree.

I love smoked haddock (although there aren't many things I don't love) but this particular fillet is especially special, it has come all the way from the sea side town of Hastings. I love Hastings, it's where I spent many years and have made life long friends. I am making this simple recipe to show off the haddock's smokiness. I am using Thai Jasmine rice as I am biased (I am joking, I am completely impartial, I am using Thai Jasmine rice because it's the most amazing rice there is). I know Jasmine rice is not readily available so go with what you can find.

Serves 4.

Preparation.

Boil 4 eggs.

1 onion (finely sliced 1/2, cut the 1/2 into rough chunks)
1 carrot, cut into chunks.
1 stalk celery, cut into chunks.
1tbsp chopped ginger.
2 cloves chopped garlic.
2 sliced spring onions.
1-2tbsp chopped coriander.

In a large with wok, put in
-1 litre water,
-3-4 bay leaves,
-chunky onion pieces,
-carrot.
- celery.
-1/2 black peppercorns,
Bring up to the boil, turn the heat down, let the stock simmer for 10 minutes, add
-around 700g smoked undyed haddock.
Leave to simmer for around 1 minute. 
Turn off the heat. 
Let the fish continue to cook in the residual heat.
Leave for 15 minutes.
Flake and leave aside.
(Pass the stock through a sieve and keep for soups).

In a large wok, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, fry
-onion slices
-chopped ginger,
-chopped garlic,
-1 stick cinnamon.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, add
-1tbsp curry powder,
-1tsp turmeric powder,
-800g cooked rice.
Cook, stirring constantly, to coat the rice in the spices. 
You may need a splash of soy sauce or salt (not too much as the fish is rather salty), add
-flaked haddock,
Gently stir the fish flakes into the rice.
Turn the heat off.
Stir through
-spring onions,
-coriander.
Arrange the boiled eggs on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment