I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Tuesday 24 May 2016

Orange Chicken.



Orange Chicken.

Sweet and sour Orange Chicken to cheer up a cloudy Tuesday. 

Preparation:

500g chicken breasts , cut into bite- size pieces, seasoned with salt and pepper.
Leave aside.

   For the coating.
On a large platter, add
-50g plain flour,
-2tbsp cornflour,
-salt/pepper. 
Mix well and leave aside.

   For the sauce.
In a bowl, put in,
-1tsp cornflour,
-2tbsp oyster sauce,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-2tsp sesame oil,
-1tbsp Shaoxing rice wine.
-1tsp caster sugar,
-zest and juice of 2 oranges.
Mix well and leave aside.

   For the Vegetables.
2 cloves chopped garlic.
1tbsp chopped ginger.

3 sliced spring onions.

I don't own a deep fryer so I deep fry in my old saucepan. To this I add
-300ml vegetable oil.
Bring up to the frying temperature on medium heat (drop a small piece of chicken in to test the oil temperature)

Drop the chicken pieces in the dry coating.
Mix well to coat each piece.
Shake off excess flour and drop the chicken pieces in the oil.
Cook in small batches.
When the chicken has turned golden brown, remove and drain well on kitchen paper. Don't worry about cooking the meat through) 

After the chicken has had its crispy coating....

In a large wok, on medium heat, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, fry
-ginger, with
-garlic.
Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened, add
-the sauce, 
Cook, stirring , until the sauce had thickened, add
-chicken,
-fresh and dry chillies.
Cook, stirring, to coat the chicken pieces in the sticky sauce.
When the chicken is cooked through, taste and adjust the seasoning. 
Add spring onions.
Stir to combine.

Sprinkle over sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment