I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 27 May 2016

Chilli and Lime Crab ปูผัดมะนาว



Chilli and Lime Crab ปูผัดมะนาว

Crab is perhaps a very exotic ingredient to cook with for most of us. They are delicious of course but a little fiddly to eat, hence the reason why I have chosen the weekend to cook this dish. Crab is versatile and can be used in stir fries, steamed or curries, just like other proteins. What differentiates crab from mainstream proteins is that crab is healthier and low in fat (not that it's important to me). The last crab dish I blogged was Chinese influenced, stir fried in a thick and sweet sour sauce. This meal is unmistakably Thai, the sweet crab meat is stir fried with a spicy and tangy lime sauce. This is a meal not to be rushed.

   For the crab.
(I am using pre-cooked crab so it just needs warming through)
700g cooked crab.
Remove the top shell (but don't throw it away).
Discard the gills,
Crack the claws.
Cut the crab into quarters.
Leave aside.

   The Vegetables.
5 clove crushed garlic.
1 onion, cut into chunks.
1 pepper, cut into chunks.
5-6 sliced chillies.

   Seasoning.
1tsp white pepper.
1tbsp fish sauce.
Juice of 1 lime.

In a large wok, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, add 
-the vegetables.
Cook, stirring constantly, until the vegetables have softened, add
-the crab chunks.
Cook, stirring, to coat the crab pieces in the vegetables, add
-seasoning.
Sprinkle over 3 sliced spring onions.

Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment