I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 23 May 2016

Pork Stuffed Peppers พริกยัดไส้หมูสับ



Pork Stuffed Peppers พริกยัดไส้หมูสับ

Another Chinese influenced dish but with added fresh Thai flavours. Mince proteins are very popular in Thai meals. I suppose with the majority of people on low incomes, mince offers value for money. I love cooking with mince, I feel mince soaks up Thai flavouring better than sliced meat. We love our big flavours and the generous use of herbs and spices. I have read criticisms about the heavy use of herbs and spices in Thai dishes that hinders the true tastes of meat. I think the abundant use of herbs and spices was necessary for the preservation of food in the unforgiving tropical heat. It has been this way for generations and I, for one, can't really enjoy a Thai meal without chillies, lime or fish sauce.

Serves 6.

   Pork filling.
In a large bowl, put in
-20g dry Shitake mushrooms, add
-cold water.
Leave aside for 30 minutes to soften.
But substitute with 50g fresh chestnut mushrooms if you prefer.

In a separate large bowl, put in
-500g mince pork,
-1tbsp finely chopped ginger,
-2 large finely chopped garlic,
-1tbsp chopped coriander,
-2 finely sliced spring onions,
-2tbsp oyster sauce,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-2tsp sesame oil,
-1tsp white pepper,
Add
-chopped Shitake or chestnut mushrooms.
Mix gently to combine.
Divide into 6 equal portions.
Cut 3 peppers into halves.
Stuff the halves with pork filling.
Steam for 20 minutes.

   The Sauce.
In a large wok, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, stir fry,
-3 sliced shallots,
-3-4 sliced chillies,
-2 cloves chopped garlic,
-3cm sliced ginger,
-2 sliced spring onions.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, add
-2tbsp oyster sauce,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-50ml water.
Continue to cook for 20 seconds or so.

To serve.
Place the stuffed peppers on a serving platter.
Spoon over the sauce.

Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment