I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 30 May 2016

Crab with Thai Basil ปูผัดโหระพา



Crab with Thai Basil ปูผัดโหระพา

There's something very nostalgic about Thai basil, the smell and taste are like no other in transforming me back to my family farm. My family treated Thai basil more like a vegetable and not a herb and we would eat it alongside most of our meals. This photo reminds me so much of home. The luxurious crab is, of course, as far away as possible from the food I grew up eating but the lush green grass behind the platter can certainly be mistaken for a rice paddy field. We can certainly pretend, however, that the crabs were caught in the paddy field. The only problem with this quest down memory lane seems to be the brick wall.....
Thank you, as always, to the best brother, friend and partner in many (food) crimes, Jung and not forgetting, of course, Sean. There doesn't seem to be any limits to the length you would go to, to bring me good food. 

I served this dish alongside other barbecued food.

Preparation:

2x800g crabs.
Remove the top shell (but don't throw it away)
Discard the gills,
Crack the claws.
Cut the crab into quarters.
Leave aside.

   The vegetables.
-5 cloves crushed garlic.
-5 sliced spring onions.
-5 Chillies.

   The seasoning.
-2tbsp oyster sauce.
-2tbsp soy sauce.
-1tbsp fish sauce.
-a big g handful of Thai basil leaves.

In a large wok, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, add 
-the vegetables.
Cook, stirring constantly, until the vegetables have softened, add
-the crab chunks.
Cook, stirring, to coat the crab pieces in the vegetables, add
-the seasoning.
Cook, stirring occasionally to combine all the ingredients.

Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment