I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 23 May 2016

Steamed Ginger and Soybean Lemon Sole ปลานึ่งเต้าเจี้ยว


Steamed Ginger and Soybean Lemon Sole ปลานึ่งเต้าเจี้ยว

A fresh, clean and healthy dish on a rainy Monday evening. I love steamed dishes for their freshness but I must admit I don't cook enough using this method. My steamer is shelved beyond my reach and it seems too much of an effort to get a chair in order to get to it?!?! I have made room for it nearer to hands now so you should be seeing more steamed recipes. There is Thai writing attached to this recipe but it's definitely Chinese in origin. There are so many such dishes with which there is a definite interracial cross contamination in the best possible way. I am Thai and therefore I add chillies to any dish that I can get away with.

On a heatproof platter, place,
250g lemon sole, with
3cm sliced ginger,
2 cloves chopped garlic,
1tbsp salted soybeans,
2 sliced spring onions,
1tbsp coriander leaves.
1 sliced chilli.
2 Shitake mushrooms,
1/2 lime juice 
1tbsp oyster sauce
1tbsp soy sauce.
1tsp sesame oil.

Steam for 10 minutes.

Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment