I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 20 May 2016

Cider Beef.



Cider Beef.

Another Friday night, another Chinese(ish) meal to tempt you. I expect you have not heard of Cider Beef before, I hope not, as I want to claim ownership. A friend had commented on a lemon chicken dish that I had blogged a while ago, which made me crave it. I have no lemons or chicken but I have beef and I have cider... so ta da... Cider Beef.
Deliciously smoky, sticky, slightly sweet and sour, which I think you'll love.

Serves 3.

Preparation:

500g sirloin steaks, cut into bite- size pieces, seasoned with salt and pepper.
Leave aside.

   For the batter,
In a large bowl, put in
-110g plain flour,
-20g cornflour,
-salt/pepper,
-130ml cold cider.
Whisk to combine.
Refrigerate until needed.

   For the sauce.
In a bowl, put in,
-1tsp cornflour,
-2tbsp oyster sauce,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-2tsp sesame oil,
-1tsp caster sugar,
-120ml cider.
Mix well and leave aside.


   For the Vegetables.
2 cloves chopped garlic.
1tbsp chopped ginger.
4-5 dry chillies.
1 onion, cut into chunks.
1 pepper, cut into chunks.
2-3 sliced chillies.
3 sliced spring onions.


I don't own a deep fryer so I deep fry in my old saucepan. To this I add
-300ml vegetable oil.
Bring up to the frying temperature on medium heat (drop a piece of  beef in to test the oil temperature)

Drop the beef pieces into the batter.
Mix well to coat each piece.
Cook in small batches.
When the beef has turned golden brown, remove and drain well on kitchen paper. (Don't worry about cooking the meat through) 

In a large wok, on medium heat, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, fry
-ginger, with
-garlic,
-dry chillies.
Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened, add
-beef
Cook, stirring , for a minute or so, add
-the sauce,
-fresh chillies,
-onion chunks,
-pepper chunks.
Cook, stirring, to coat the beef pieces in the sticky sauce.
When the beef is cooked through, taste and adjust the seasoning. 
Stir through sliced spring onions.

Serve with rice

No comments:

Post a Comment