I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 29 May 2016

Barbecued Chicken Liver ปิ้งตับไก่



Barbecued Chicken Liver ปิ้งตับไก่

When you think of liver I bet you would not associate it with cooking over charcoals. Barbecued chicken liver is a popular street food in Thailand. It's sold alongside other cuts of chicken, spicy papaya salad and steaming hot and fragrant sticky rice. The liver is threaded in skewers and grilled over hot charcoals, unlike here in the UK, the liver skewers will be the first to sell out. I hope you will try this recipe when barbecuing this summer.

   The paste.
In a pestle and mortar, pound
-5 cloves garlic, with
-1tbsp black peppercorns,
-1tbsp coriander seeds. 
Pound until well combined.

In a large bowl, put in
-700g chicken liver, 
-1tsp salt,
-1tbsp fish sauce,
-1tbsp balsamic vinegar,
-1tbsp sesame oil,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-1tbsp oyster sauce, add
-the paste.
Mix well to combine.
Leave to marinate for 30 minutes or so.
Thread with skewers.


No comments:

Post a Comment