I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Saturday 21 May 2016

Coconut Sticky Rice with Fresh Mango ข้าวเหนียวมะม่วง



Coconut Sticky Rice with Fresh Mango ข้าวเหนียวมะม่วง

My first ever Thai dessert recipe! I am not expecting many of you to make this, Thai mango 'Nam Dok Mai' variety is not widely available. This is a very seasonal dish and is only available at this time of year when Nam Dok Mai have ripened.
A massive thank you to my brother, friend and partner in many crimes, Jung Tadsee, for sending this mango all the way from Brighton. แท้งกิ้วๆ, I hope I've done it justice.
If you like rice pudding, you'll love this.

Serves 2.

Soak 150g glutinous Thai rice for around 3 hours.
Microwave at 850 watts for around 6 minutes.

In a large saucepan, put in
-400ml coconut milk, 
-80g golden caster sugar,
-1tsp vanilla bean paste,
-pinch of salt.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved, add
-the cooked rice.
Stir gently until the rice has absorbed the liquid.

Serve with sliced Thai mango.

No comments:

Post a Comment