I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Saturday 14 May 2016

Braised Chicken in Soy Sauce and Asian Herbs.


Braised Chicken in Soy Sauce and Asian Herbs.

Another Chinese favourite to tempt you, this is my take on the famous Soy Sauce Chicken. Easy, scrummy and ingredients are readily available from mainstream supermarkets. The chicken is deliciously sticky, slightly sweet and extremely flavourful. I am serving it with a spicy chilli and ginger sauce but you can certainly leave out the chillies. I love spicy food and when, on a rare occasion, I cook a dish that all 5 of us will and can eat, I will always make a spicy condiment to have on the side. I love food but even I dread the smell of some of my dishes (especially when shrimp paste is involved and the wind is blowing in the wrong direction) but it's not the case here. Please make this dish and open all your doors and windows but for the purpose of showing off the lovely aroma. It smells incredible and it's taken me right back to Sydney Chinatown, where I first had soy sauce chicken.

Serves 6.

In a large stock pot, put in
-1.5 litres chicken stock (or water with chicken stock cube),
-1 stick cinnamon,
-1tsp cloves,
-1tsp coriander seeds,
-1tsp peppercorns,
-2 star anise,
-4cm sliced ginger,
-3-4 cloves crushed garlic,
-1tsp sea salt,
-1tbsp sesame oil,
-2tbsp Shaoxing rice wine,
-100ml soy sauce,
-100ml dark soy sauce.
Bring up to the simmer and leave to simmer gently for 10 minutes. 
Add 2kg free range whole chicken.
Cover with a lid and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
Turn the chicken in the stock.
Add 2tbsp palm or brown sugar.
Cover with the lid and leave to simmer for another 30 minutes.
Turn the heat off and let the chicken cool down in the stock for at least 30 minutes.

   Spicy Sauce.
In a bowl, put in 
-6 chopped chillies,
-2 cloves chopped garlic,
-2tbsp chopped ginger,
-1tbsp chopped coriander,
-1tbsp balsamic vinegar,
-3tbsp soy sauce,
-1tsp sesame oil.
Stir and leave aside.

About 30 minutes before you are ready to serve...
1. Cook your rice.
2. Preheat the oven 200c fan forced.
3. Place the chicken in a deep oven tray, pour over 3tbsp of honey.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, basting half way through the cooking time.
4. At the same..put the stock back on low-medium heat and leave to simmer.

   To serve.
Carve the chicken into portions.
Spoon the stock over the chicken.
Sprinkle over chopped spring onions and ginger for added freshness.
Serve with rice, vegetables and spicy sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment