I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 25 May 2016

Pot Roasted Beef Brisket.



Pot Roasted Beef Brisket.

A warm and comforting meal on a very cold spring's day. Brisket is the perfect cut of meat for slow cooking, the meat is deliciously tender and melting after a long period in the oven. This cut of meat, although not cheap, is still very economical and will feed a family of 6 with some leftover for scrummy cold cut sandwiches. I am a stay home mum so I normally have plenty of time for cooking but on a rare day, like today, when I am short of time a yummy dinner can be prepared in 10 minutes.

In a casserole pan, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, brown,
-1kg joint of brisket, seasoned with salt and pepper.
Cook, on all sides, add
-2 onions, quartered,
-3-4 crushed garlic,
-2-3 carrots, cut into large chunks,
-2 celery stalks,
-herbs,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-1tbsp balsamic vinegar,
-400ml red wine.
Cover with a lid.
Place in 150c fan forced oven for about 2:30 hours.
Turning the beef in the sauce half way through cooking.
After the meat is tender and melting, turn the heat off and leave the meat to continue to cook for 30 minutes. I find this method thickens the sauce and makes the meat even more tender.

Serve with your choice of potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment