I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Tuesday 17 May 2016

Apple Crumble Traybake.


Apple Crumble Traybake.

An easy and delicious way to use up very ripe apples. The sweet and moist cake pairs perfectly with the crunchy and nutty crumble. 

Equipment:
23x30cm deep oven tray lined with baking paper.

   For the crumble.
In a saucepan, put in,
-80g butter,
-60g caster sugar,
-80g plain flour,
-25g rolled oats,
-25g desiccated coconut.
Cook stirring until the butter and sugar have melted.
Leave aside.

   For the sponge.
Use an electric mixer to beat,
-300g self raising flour,
-1tsp baking powder,
-300g caster sugar,
-4 eggs,
-250g butter, at room temperature,
-50ml milk,
-1tsp vanilla bean paste.
Beat to incorporate the ingredients.

Stir through 600g peeled, chopped eating apples.
Spoon into the prepared tin.
Sprinkle over the crumble topping.

Bake 45-50 minutes, skewer should come out clean.
Cool completely in tin.

Cut into slices to serve.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment