I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Tuesday 24 May 2016

Chicken with Mushroom Sauce ข้าวหน้าไก่



Chicken with Mushroom Sauce ข้าวหน้าไก่

Another Chinese influenced Thai meal, although it has not been my intention for this week to be so heavily Chinese. This is an incredibly fragrant and aromatic dish. When I cook a dish, such as this, I wish I could bank the smell to off set the pungency when I cook with shrimp paste. This is deliciously perfumed, the chicken is tender from being marinated in rice wine and the Shitake mushrooms give that umami flavour, which is difficult to substitute. Being hijacked by Thais, this Chinese dish has added fiery chillies to cut through the delicious, thick and sweet gravy. I promise this is not my doing, other people serve this meal with added chillies as well...


Serves 2.

In a bowl, put in 
-400g sliced free range chicken breasts, 
-1tsp cornflour,
-1tbsp Shaoxing rice wine,
-1tbsp oyster sauce,
-1tbsp soy sauce,
-1tsp sesame oil,
-black pepper.
Mix well and leave aside to marinate for an hour.

In a large bowl, put in
-20g dry Shitake mushrooms, add
-cold water.
Leave aside for 30 minutes to soften.
Slice and leave aside.
(But substitute with 50g fresh chestnut mushrooms if you prefer).

   The Vegetables 
-3 sliced shallots.
-2 cloves chopped garlic,
-1tbsp chopped ginger.
-2 sliced chillies.

-2 sliced spring onions.
-2tbsp coriander leaves.


   The Sauce.
In a large bowl, put in, 
-2tsp cornflour,
-1tbsp oyster sauce,
-1tbsp soy sauce,
-1tsp sesame oil,
-200ml chicken stock or water.

In a large wok, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, stir fry,
-sliced shallots, with
-chopped garlic,
-ginger,
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, add
-the sauce,
-sliced mushrooms.
Bring the sauce up to the boil, add
-chicken.
When the chicken is almost cooked through, add
-chillies.
Continue to cook until the chicken is done.
Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Spoon over some steamed Jasmine Thai rice.
Sprinkle over coriander and spring onions.
Add your choices of vegetables and sides (Chinese sausage if you are lucky enough to come across some).

No comments:

Post a Comment