I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 11 May 2016

Beef and Potato Pie.


Beef and Potato Pie.

I always cook with the intention of having leftovers (it doesn't always happen), my family doesn't share my enthusiasm for leftovers. Therefore, I always try and make a completely different meal with whatever is left. This pie is made from last night's Beef Ragù. My older daughter has asked for a pie so here it is. The pastry works well with handheld pies and pasties and is very easy and forgiving t work with. Another winter warmer on a wet (and miserable) day.

Equipment:
23cm springform cake tin.

   For the pastry.
In a food processor, put in
-650g plain flour,
-1tsp salt,
-150g butter, cubed,
-100g suet.
Pulse to combine. Add
-350ml cold water.
(If the pastry is too dry add more water).
Tip onto a floured surface.
Bring the dough together with your hands.
Don't knead. 
Place in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes.

Peel and cook 700g potatoes.
Once cooked, slice into 1/2cm chunks.

Oven 180c fan forced.

When the pastry has had its resting time.
Reserve 250g.
Roll the rest of the pastry into 1/2cm thick or big enough to fit the tin.
Leave a 2cm overhang (pastry tends to shrink in the oven)
Bake for 30 minutes.
Cut off the excess pastry.


Sprinkle 2tbsp of semolina on the base of the pastry, to prevent a soggy bottom.
Add the cooked potatoes.
Add (roughly) 1kg beef filling.
Roll the reserved pastry to cover the pie.
Cut slits to let out the steam.
Bake 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.

Leave for 20 minutes before serving, it's quite tricky to de-mould so you do need the tin to cool down.






No comments:

Post a Comment