I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 30 May 2016

Stir Fried Razor Clams ผัดหอยหลอด


Stir Fried Razor Clams ผัดหอยหลอด

A little bit of seafood luxury that is not easily obtainable in the middle of the country, with the nearest coasts 70 miles away. Sweet and juicy clams are simply stir fried to maximise but not to hinder the delicious freshness. Thank you, as always, to the best brother, friend and partner in many (food) crimes and not forgetting, of course, Sean. There doesn't seem to be any limits to the length you would go to, to bring me good food.

I served this dish alongside other barbecued food.

Preparation.

Soak and clean 1kg razor clams in cold water.
Drain well through a sieve.

   The Vegetables.
3 clove crushed garlic.
1 onion, cut into chunks.
1 pepper, cut into chunks.
2 sliced chillies.

   Seasoning.
1tsp white pepper.
1tbsp fish sauce.
1tbsp soy sauce.
1tbsp oyster sauce.

In a large wok, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, add 
-the vegetables.
Cook, stirring constantly, until the vegetables have softened, add
-the clams.
Cover with a lid for 30 seconds or so.
Cook, stirring, to coat the clams in the vegetables, add
-seasoning.
Sprinkle over 3 sliced spring onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment