I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 15 May 2016

Fish Chowder.


Fish Chowder.

Hearty, healthy but still deliciously indulgent. This decadent fish soup is incredibly easy and quick to prepare. I have a freezer full of frozen homemade stock, which makes light work of any meal. This flavoursome meal took around 5 minutes to make.

Serves 2.

In a large saucepan, put in
-500ml fish stock, with
-a small handful of fresh parsley,
-400g sweet potatoes, cut into 2cm chunks.
Leave to simmer for 5 minutes, add
-400g fish pie mix.
Cook, for a minute or until the fish is cooked through.
Use a slotted spoon to fish out the fish pieces.
Leave aside.

Continue to cook the potatoes in the stock for another 10 minutes or until cooked through.
Use a hand blender to blitz the potatoes chunks.
Add 2tbsp double cream.
Add the fish pieces to the soup to warm through.
Turn off the heat.
Stir through 2tbsp chopped chives.
A few twists of black pepper.

Serve with bread (I served mine with 'sausage and onion muffin bread')

No comments:

Post a Comment