I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 8 May 2016

Orange and Cider with Vanilla Cream Jelly.



Orange and Cider with Vanilla Cream Jelly.

This is a vegetarian friendly dessert and what a perfect day to have it. I hope you'll believe me when I tell you (again) how easy it is to put this summery dessert together. Great for making ahead or even if you are short of time, vegetable gelatine sets faster than its counterpart.
It's a tough life but someone's got to eat it.

Equipment:
4x250ml capacity glasses.

In a large saucepan, put in
-zest and juice of 4 oranges (about 200ml),
-100g rhubarb, cut into 1cm chunks,
-350ml cider,
-100g caster sugar,
-6.5g vegetable gelatine.
Cook, stirring constantly, on low medium heat, until the mixture has come to almost boiling point.

Pass through a sieve.
Transfer into a jug.
Divide equally between the glasses.
Leave to stand for 30 minutes.
Refrigerate until set (mine took around 20 minutes to set).

Once the first layer has set...

In a large saucepan,put in 
-200ml double cream,
-250g mascarpone cheese,
-200ml whole milk,
-100g caster sugar,
-2tsp vanilla bean paste,
-6.5g vegetable gelatine.
Leave to come up to the simmer on medium-low heat.
Stirring constantly until almost at boiling point.
Transfer into a jug.
Divide equally between the glasses.
Leave to stand for 30 minutes.
Refrigerate until set (mine took around 20 minutes to set).

No comments:

Post a Comment