I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Saturday 21 May 2016

Cider Risotto with Pan Seared Duck.


Cider Risotto with Pan Seared Duck.

I love risotto without added cream or cheese so it's inadvertently healthier. I am never without my stock so delicious meals can be whipped up in no time at all. It's the stock that transforms the risotto from a stodgy mess to creamy scrumminess. It's not only risottos that are instantly delicious using homemade stock but also East Asian dishes to casseroles and curries. Risottos are easy and stock magically changes it from ordinary to an impressive dinner party meal. I am serving mine with duck, which is always super duper special.

Serves 3.

Preparation:

Shell 500g fresh peas (you should end up with around 150g).
Add,
-1tbsp chopped chives,
-1tbsp balsamic vinegar,
-salt and pepper.
Mix well and leave aside.


2 duck breasts, seasoned, with
-salt/pepper,
-1tsp five spice powder.
Leave aside.

   For the risotto.
In a large saucepan, add
-1tbsp olive oil, with 
-2 chopped shallots,
-1 clove chopped garlic.
-salt and pepper.
Cook, stirring occasionally, on low-medium heat until softened, add
-300g risotto rice.
Cook, stirring constantly to coat the rice, around a minute or so, add
-250ml cider.
Stir until the rice has absorbed the liquid, add
-a ladle of chicken stock at a time.
Cook,stirring constantly until the stock has been absorbed.
Repeat this process until about 1 litre of stock is used or the rice is deliciously creamy. The process should take 25 minutes.

At the same time...
Oven 200c fan forced.

In a frying pan, on medium-high heat.
-the duck breasts, skin side down.
Cook the duck for a couple of minutes on each side.
Place in the oven for 5-7 minutes, depending on how much you like your duck cooked.
Leave to rest for 5-7 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment