I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Tuesday 3 May 2016

Ham and Pea Soup.



Ham and Pea Soup.

This is a happy and delicious byproduct of a glazed ham. The ham poaching liquid is so well spiced, full of flavour and I never throw it away. I normally divide the liquid into 500ml portions and stash them away in the freezer.
This is one of my quickest and easiest recipes and I can assure you it's delicious, the sweetness of the peas contrasts so well against the saltiness of the ham stock.

Serves 2.

In a large saucepan, put in
-1 litre ham stock, with
-500g frozen peas.
Bring up to the boil.
Turn the heat off.
Use a hand blender to blitz the peas. (I like chunky soups so I left some peas whole).

Put the soup back on the heat, add
-100g chopped ham,
-1tbsp chopped chives,
-plenty of black pepper.
Cook, stirring, for around 30 seconds.

Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment