I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 9 May 2016

Baked Custard with Strawberry Sauce.



Baked Custard with Strawberry Sauce.

Cool down with this classic, rich and smooth dessert. Baked custard is delicious on its own but I like contrasting textures and flavours, I am therefore serving mine with some tangy strawberry sauce. I would have made a crunchy crumble, as well, if I had not spent so much time playing in the sun.
My tip for this recipe is to bake the custard at a low temperature, this is to stop the custard tasting eggy and savoury.... Mouth-wateringly delicious.

Equipment: 
6x250ml capacity ramekins.
Large deep ovenproof tray.

Oven 140c fan forced.

   For the custard.
In a heatproof bowl, whisk
-6 egg yolks,
-180g caster sugar.
-pinch of salt,
-2tsp vanilla bean paste.
Leave aside

In a large saucepan, put in,
-250g mascarpone cheese,
-500ml whole milk.
Cook, stirring on low heat until the mixture is almost at boiling point. Add this to
-egg/sugar mixture, 1/2 cup at a time. 
You need to be whisking all the time. 
Continue to add hot milk this way until at least 2 cups of milk have been used (This is to stop the egg mixture curdling).
Then add all the liquid, whisk gently.
Transfer into a jug.

Place the ramekins in the oven trays.
Pour the mixture into the prepared ramekins.
Pour hot water into the oven trays, to come halfway up the ramekins.
Bake 45 minutes (there should still be a slight wobble)

Leave to cool completely in the trays.
Refrigerate at least 4 hrs to overnight.

   For the Strawberry Sauce.
In a large saucepan, put in
-350g frozen strawberries, with
-2tbsp caster sugar,
-2tbsp water.
Leave to cook on low heat until the fruits have softened.
Leave to cool completely.

   To serve.
Invert the cold custard onto a serving dish.
Spoon on the strawberry sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment