I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 16 May 2016

Beef and Basil Stir Fried Rice ข้าวผัดกะเพราเนื้อ


Beef and Basil Stir Fried Rice ข้าวผัดกะเพราเนื้อ

Stir fried basil is perhaps Thailand's most consumed dish. We eat so much of it that there was a story on a Thai social website asking how basil has not become extinct already. Stir fried basil has a reputation for being the sort of meal that people will order when they can't decide what to eat and so is fried rice. There is a term, which describes these dishes 'สิ้นคิด sin kid' or 'lacking imagination'  This recipe combines two 'sin kid' but extremely popular dishes. I served my fried rice with a fried egg, we normally serve spicy dishes with egg of some kind to soothe the palate.

Serves 3.

(Have some tissue handy)

In a large wok, with a tbsp of vegetable oil, fry
-2 cloves chopped garlic, with
-chillies (as many as you can handle),
Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (you will also be coughing and sneezing uncontrollably), add
-500g sliced beef.
Cook, stirring to coat the beef in the spices, add
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-1tbsp fish sauce,
-a big handful of basil leaves.
Stir to combine, add
-800g cooked rice.
Cook, stirring constantly, until the rice is coated in the sauce.

Serve with a fried egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment