I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 6 May 2016

Individual Banoffee Pies.



Individual Banoffee Pies.

Continuing with summery desserts and these cooling and rich no bake pies really hit the spot. These are extremely easy to put together, they are also great for making ahead. I have used ginger biscuits in my recipe and the spiciness complements the sweet and caramelised bananas perfectly. Try this easy recipe for yourself. I would recommend plenty of time for assembling. The most difficult bit of the whole recipe is spooning the ingredients into the glasses without catching the sides. I didn't quite achieve this but they were a real hit regardless.

Serves 4.

Equipment:
Anything pretty and see through that you have available.

   Caramelised Bananas.
In a large frying pan, put in
-60g soft brown sugar,
-50g golden syrup,
-50g butter.
Cook, stirring occasionally, on low heat until the sugar and butter have melted, add
-4 sliced bananas.
Leave the banana slices to cook in the syrup until they have slightly softened. Leave to cool completely.

   Cream filling.
Use an electric mixer to beat,
-300ml double cream,
-2tbsp icing sugar,
-1tsp vanilla bean paste.
Beat until the cream just holds its shape.
Refrigerate until needed.

   For the biscuit crumbs.
In a food processor, put in,
-250g ginger biscuits.
Pulse into rough crumbs.
Tip into a bowl.
Leave aside until needed.

   To assemble.
Reserve 4 tbsp of biscuit crumbs.
Spoon the remaining crumbs into 4 glasses.
Add cooled caramelised bananas.
Spoon on the cream.
Spoon on the reserved crumbs.
Grate over some dark chocolate.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment