I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Thursday 5 May 2016

Green Curry Stir Fried Meatballs ผัดแห้งเขียวหวานลูกชิ้นหมู.



Green Curry Stir Fried Meatballs ผัดแห้งเขียวหวานลูกชิ้นหมู.

I make my own curry pastes, using herbs that have long been used medically as well as cooking in Thailand. Thai food therefore provides nutrition as well as health benefits. I love all food but when we have Thai dishes, I feel l can eat more as it is good for me. This stir fried curry still gives you the pungency of a green curry but without the dreaded (I still love it) coconut milk. It's good for you so cook up a big batch and enjoy. Make sure to have it with plenty of Jasmine rice to soak up the spiciness.

Serves 4-6.

   For the meatballs.
In a large bowl, put in,
-800g mince pork,
-1tsp sea salt,
-1tbsp fish sauce,
-plenty of white pepper,
-2tsp bicarbonate of soda,
-2tsp sugar,
-2tbsp cold water,
-1tbsp cornflour.
Use your hand to bring the mixture together. Mix well to combine then refrigerate for about 20 minutes.

Put a large pot of water on the heat to boil.

Once ready, roll tablespoonfuls of pork mixture into balls. You probably will get around 25-30 balls.
Cook in the pot of hot boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain well and leave aside.
Once cooled enough to handle, slice into 1/2cm in thickness, leave aside.

Slice 1 pepper.
Slice 3 spring onions.

In a large wok, fry,
-2tbsp Green Curry Paste, with
-4-5 kaffir lime leaves (these are for flavour and not for eating, just like bay leaves) for a couple of minutes, add
-sliced meatballs.
Stir to combine, 
-1tbsp soy sauce,
-1tbsp oyster sauce,
-1tsp sugar,
-100ml water or chicken stock.
Cook,stirring for around 10 minutes, add
-sliced peppers,
-sliced spring onions.
Continue to cook for around 30 seconds.


Serve with rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment