I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Tuesday 3 May 2016

Stem Ginger with Peach Cream.



Stem Ginger with Peach Cream Slice.

This 'leftover' cake has turned out better than I had hoped. I was going through my fridge and cupboards to see what needed using up, found these ingredients and turned them into a rectangular cake. I love my rectangular cake tins, they seem to make everything prettier.


Equipment:
30x15cm(x2) cake tins, or
2x20cm springform cakes tins, lined with baking paper.

In a large saucepan, put in,
-250g butter,
-250g soft brown sugar,
-100g finely sliced stem ginger (and a tablespoon of ginger syrup),
-pinch of salt.
Cook, stirring, until the butter and sugar have melted. 
Leave aside.

   For the cake.
Use an electric mixer, beat, 
-400g self raising flour,
-2tsp baking powder,
-5 eggs,
-1tsp vanilla bean paste,
-pinch of salt.
Stir through,
-butter mixture.

Spoon into the prepared tin.
Bake in 180c fan forced oven for 18-20 minutes. The skewer should come out clean.

Leave to cool completely in the cooking tins.

Drain 410g tinned peaches.
Chop into 1cm chunks.

   Cream Topping.
Use an electric mixer, beat
-600ml double cream, with
-3 tbsp icing sugar,
-1tsp vanilla bean paste.
Beat until the cream just holds its shape,
Stir through,
-chopped peaches.
Refrigerate until needed.

     To assemble.
Sandwich the cake layers with the peach cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment