I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Saturday 23 January 2016

Cheesy Cottage Pie

So delicious, one of my daughters had it for 3 meals in a row.

























Serves 6

Equipment:
Deep oven proof dish.

Preparation.
-2kg mashed potatoes, seasoned with salt/pepper, mashed with 100g butter and 100ml milk.

In a large frying pan, fry,
-1 large sliced onion,
-2 cloves, chopped garlic,
-1 stalk chopped celery,
-2 carrots, cut into chunks,
Cook, stirring, until the vegetables have softened. Add
-800g mince beef.
Cook on high heat to brown the meat. Drain through a sieve to get rid of excess oil.
Return to the pan, add
-salt/pepper,
-1tsp paprika,
-100g frozen peas,
-beef stock cube,
-2tbsp chopped parsley,
-2tsp cornflour mixed with 250ml water.
Leave to simmer for 10 minutes.

Oven 180c fan forced.

Spoon into the oven dish.
Spoon on mashed potatoes.
Top with 150g grated cheese.

Bake 30-35 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment