I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 24 January 2016

Butteries.



Butteries.

Scottish traditional bread roll eaten at breakfast also known as Aberdeen roll.
I thought I would try something different and make them rectangular.

Makes 8.

In a bowl, put in
-185ml lukewarm water, whisk in
-1tbsp sugar,
-1tsp yeast.
Leave to stand for 10 minutes.

In a large  bowl, put in
-335g strong white flour,
-1tsp salt.
make a well in the centre, add
-yeast mixture.
Bring dough together with your hand.
Knead on floured surface for 10 minutes. Put in greased bowl, cover, leave to rise at room temperature for around 1 1/2 hrs.

Mash
-75g lard,
-75g butter, until evenly mixed. 
Roll out to a rough rectangle of 30x12cm.

When dough is ready, roll out to
-45x15cm rectangle.
Place,
-butter and lard mixture on
-top 1/3 of the rectangle, then fold
-bottom 1/3 to cover half of the top 1/3, fold
-top 1/3 over to seal. Use a rolling pin to seal any open edges. Wrap and chill 30 minutes.

When ready, roll out to
-45x15cm rectangle, repeat the folding as before.
Repeat this routine 2 more times. Always roll with the short end facing you.

When ready, roll the dough out into 40x10cm rectangle, cut into 8 equal pieces of around 2cm thick pieces.
(Alternatively shape into round discs)

Space well apart on baking trays. Refrigerate 20 minutes.

Oven 200c fan forced

Bake 20-25 minutes.

Cool on rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment