I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 24 January 2016

Son In Law Eggs.



Son In Law Eggs.

(There are a few stories why the dish is so named. The one that I remember is a story of a new mother in law, wanting to let her new son in law know what would become of him if her daughter was ever mistreated)
 
Preparation:
-4 eggs, boiled and DEEP fried.
Leave aside.
-1 large red onion, sliced.
-1 clove garlic, chopped.
-1 tbsp chopped coriander,
-1 Spring onion, sliced.
Leave aside.

In a saucepan, fry
-1/2 of the sliced red onion, with
-garlic, cook stirring until the vegetables have cooked through, add
-sauces: oyster sauce,
                -fish sauce,
                -soy sauce,
                -1tsp tamarind paste,
Stir to combine, add
-1 chopped chilli,
-100ml chicken stock.
-2tsp palm sugar (or soft brown sugar)
Simmer on low- medium heat until the sauce has thickened, around 10-15 minutes.

Deep fry
-reserved sliced onion, drain on kitchen paper.
-5 dried chillies (optional)

To serve:
Spoon 
-1/2 of the sauce on to the plate. Top with 
-deep fried eggs, sprinkle over
-deep fried onions and chillies, then
-sliced Spring onion and coriander. Top with
-remaining sauce.

Serve with rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment