I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Saturday 23 January 2016

Sweet and Sticky Ribs.



Sweet and Sticky Ribs.

Serves 2- 4.

In a large stock pot, put in,
-3cm sliced ginger,
-2 garlic cloves,
-1tsp salt,
-1tbsp dark soy sauce,
-1tbsp light soy sauce,
-1 onion, quartered.
Bring to a gentle simmer, add
-700g pork ribs.
Leave to simmer for 2 hours.

Oven 160c fan forced.

In a heatproof bowl, put in,
-100g plum jam,
-1tbsp honey,
-1tbsp brown sugar,
-1tbsp light soy sauce,
-1tbsp oyster sauce,
-1tsp sesame oil.
-1/2 cup cooking liquid.
Whisk together. Leave aside.


Use a slotted spoon to fish out the ribs and place them in a deep baking tray.
Pour over the jam mixture, gently coat the ribs in the marinade.

Cook around 1 hour or until the meat is falling off the bone.
Serve with rice and stir fried vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment