I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 24 January 2016

Potato Cakes.



Potato Cakes.

Great recipe to use up your left over boiled potatoes.

8x150ml capacity ramekins.
Greased with butter and dusted with breadcrumbs.

 Preparation:
-550g mashed potatoes, seasoned with salt/pepper. Leave aside.
-200g grated cheese.
-2tbsp chopped chives.
-4 eggs, separated.

In a large saucepan, melt
-50g butter with
-100ml milk.
Cook on low heat until the butter has melted and milk warmed. Turn off the heat. Add
-mashed potatoes,
-150g grated cheese,
-chopped chives,
-4 whisked egg yolks.
Stir well to combine and leave aside.

Oven 180c fan forced.

Use an electric mixer to beat,
-4 egg whites until soft peaks form. Add 
-1/3 of egg whites to potato mixture to loosen it.
Use a metal spoon to gently fold in the rest.
Spoon into the prepared ramekins. 
Top with 
-50g cheese.

Bake 25 minutes 

No comments:

Post a Comment