I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 24 January 2016

Thai Pork Salad.




Thai Pork Salad.

Serves 2.

              Marinade,
-350g pork steaks, with
-1 tsp crushed peppercorns,
-1tbsp crushed coriander seeds,
-2 cloves crushed garlic,
-pinch sea salt,
-1 tbsp oyster sauce,
-1 tbsp soy sauce,
-1 tsp sesame oil.
Leave to marinade from 1 hr to overnight.

              For the salad:
In a frying pan, dry roast,
-2tbsp of rice until golden brown. Finely grind using a pestle and mortar. Leave aside.
-2 Spring onions, finely chopped,
-chillies, finely sliced (I used 2 chillies in my salad)
-1/2 onion, finely sliced.
-1 tbsp mint, chopped
-2 tbsp coriander, chopped.
-2 tsp dried chilli flakes.

              To taste:
-juice of 1/2-1 lime.
-1-2tbsp fish sauce.

The steaks can be cooked under a hot grill (I cooked mine in the Air Fryer 180c for 20 minutes).
Leave the steaks to rest for around 20 minutes before slicing, then put into 
-a large bowl, along with
-all the salad ingredients.
Adjust your seasoning with
-lime juice,
-fish sauce.

Serve with rice and vegetables of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment